 Robotics / 6856
Re: New Lego challenge !
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:18:37 GMT

Ralph Hempel wrote in message <000001befe2a$c62ef400$0500000a@pro150>...
This is a REALLY good idea. Here's something I had kicking
around in my head...

1. Making a maze that we can all use is kinda hard.
2. Making a bot small enough to fit a standard buildable
maze is really hard.

I propose we invert the problem a bit....

Given a maze DRAWN on a piece of paper, can we devise a "bot"
that is just a light sensor that finds  grey square and avoids
the black lines that represent the walls?

This might be a more managable problem.

<snip>
Excellent Idea!  That way, the light sensor could 'hover' over the maze, and
be moved in an X and Y direction to 'traverse' it.  I may attempt this, as I
have very limited floor space to test robots in.

My wife and I have a 4 month old puppy that weighs 50 pounds, and my Lego
bricks quake in fear whenever he comes near them.  And to further complicate
things, my office where the puppy is not allowed, in addition to not having
much floor space, has a textured type rug, so that building a mobile robot
that doesn't get tangled, or just plain confused (that is, unknowingly moved
off course) doesn't seem to be a trivial matter. <sigh>

-Andy Lynch