 Robotics / 6839
Re: New Lego challenge !
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 19:30:11 GMT

       To be more specific, the "right hand rule" is not a recursive
algorithm at all in the classic sense.  We like to think of it that
way because the "traveler" will traverse parts of the maze repeatedly,
in the worst case the whole maze.  However, at each point in the maze
the "traveler" has all the information is needs to take the next step.
Nothing from the past or the future is needed to make the decision.
You just go right if you can, straight if you can, left if you can,
or do a complete 180.  As long as you always evaluate those four
conditions in that order then you will successfully complete the
"right hand rule".

The right (or left (-: ) -hand rule seems to be simple but not the most
efficient. That's why I included the light beacon. Providing you have
the right beacon detector (let's build one!), and you don't know which
direction is the best, you can balance your choice with the beacon
detector's information. There should be two tasks : one which gives the
best direction to follow with the wall-sensors information, and one
which gives the best direction to find the light beacon. With some kind
of fuzy logic (two restraints which gives one final solution), it should
be possible for another task to optimize the robot travel, and make it
shorter...

Philippe