 Robotics / 6873
Re: New Lego challenge !
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 20:24:25 GMT

Ralph Hempel wrote :

Given a maze DRAWN on a piece of paper, can we devise a "bot"
that is just a light sensor that finds  grey square and avoids
the black lines that represent the walls?

This is a great idea, and this could be usefull for at least two
reasons:

-If you don't have room to create a real maze
-We don't have an easy way to make a real bot move in either precise x
or y direction (because of friction, a bot cannot make severall  precise
90 degree turns). We need a compass to do that.

So, my proposition is to have TWO challenges :
(you choose the one which suits best your skill / place available)

1. Design a real bot which can enter into a maze and find it's way (as
described on my page)
2. Design a virtual robot made of a light sensor, as you said :

"Given a maze DRAWN on a piece of paper, can we devise a "bot"
that is just a light sensor that finds  grey square and avoids
the black lines that represent the walls?"

I'll update the challenge pages soon to include this. Any comments?

Very good, and I'll be able to use my scanner mecanic to complete this:
look at http://users.swing.be/philippe.jadin/mylego.htm

We could eventually first "scan" the maze, and then try to complete it
in much less time...

In any case, there are plenty hours of fun in both challenges...

And I'm waiting for your results !

Philippe.