 Robotics / 634
Re: gear differential
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 02:40:11 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:

Dave Forrest <davef@shmoopie.com> wrote:
I saw this picture  of a Limited Slip Differential yesterday:
http://home.sol.no/~selode/lego/limited.html

I don't understand how people use rubber bands like this in projects  --
they never seem to transmit enough power to move anything reliably.

Hey, I had a worse idea once.

Actually I'm still proud of it - I built an all-LEGO automatic
transmission.

Only *how* it worked was by using pairs of the little crown bushings
(seemingly defunct as of this year?) as clutches, a pair at each end of
an axle (adjusted very *very* carefully to get exactly zero clearance
when turning free) with a worm gear thrusting against a rubber band to
measure the applied force (and of course the usual 2:2 and 3:1 gear
ratios around the two ends)....

sometimes it worked for nearly thirty seconds before having to be
stripped down and rebuilt....

but it once drove all the way across the room and crossed the Cushion
Mountains....

stephen