 Robotics / 6119
Re: LEGO vs. O'Reilly (was Re: RCX 1.5 'paranioa')
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 17:38:06 GMT

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Robert Munafo wrote:

More sophisticated customers tend to place a higher demand (i.e. workload) on
service and technical support.

I tend to agree with Matthew Miller. I've also worked at an ISP, and the
technially sophisticted customers generally called once. I'd give 'em the
info they needed, and they could handle the rest.

Also, they tend to spread the word that the
system as-supplied is insufficient to do what it was intended.

But it isn't, in this case. Mindstorms is quite sufficient to A) teach
simple robotics & programming ideas, and B) *play* with. As long as people
can make the distinction between "isn't quite what I want/would have
designed" and "isn't quite what I was sold", then there isn't a problem.

As long as LEGO makes it clear they only support their own software and
hardware, I don't see how they'd have a beef. Apart, perhaps from the
purist disdain for any non-Lego components.

Dave Taira     | Broken pipes, broken tools, people bending broken rules /   |
Hired Gun      | Hound dog howlin', bullfrog croakin' / Everything is broken |
bodhi@foad.org | --Bob Dylan, "Everything is Broken"                         |