 Robotics / 6118
Re: Darn those definitions (was: The new Super Car)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 19:53:05 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Jim Choate) writes:

A liquid is an incompressible fluid.

A gas is a compressible fluid.

In lugnet.robotics, Peter Dantic writes:

I think you will find that, with the exception of black hole stuff, everything
is compressible.

It is certainly true to say that a gas is more compressible than a liquid, but
there is no defined 'level of compressibility' that distinguishes a gas from a
liquid.

I think you will find that the TRUE difference between gas & liquid is to do
with the way the stuff is acting at a molecular level - in a gas the molecues
act like my kids at bedtime - they bounce around all over the place, whereas
in a liquid they are all butted up, and just shake around a bit.

Hydraulic relates to liquids.
Pneumatic relates to gasses.

Both gasses & liquids are fluids, tho, which is why fluid dynamics is
concerned with both.

P.Dantic.