 Robotics / 6151
Re: Darn those definitions (was: The new Super Car)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 07:34:59 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Patricia Schempp writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Dennis Clark writes:

I think that you will find that fluid is not compressable.  If fluid were
compressable fish could not live 2 miles down, divers couldn't dive and
dolphins and whales would be crushed on their very common 700 foot dives.

This is all quite true of water, its not compressable.  Is water unique in
that aspect?

DLC

incorrect my friend.  if water was not compressable at all there would be no
pressure difference from the top to the bottom.  Admittedly it is not very • easy
to do it, but it will compress. Most solids are compressable too. At hight
pressures, most things will fill a smaller volume.
Like I said, everything is compressible, with the probable exception of the
stuff in a black hole. Even the exclusion principle (the law that controls
elecron 'orbits' round an atom) is reconed to be overcome by sufficient force
(gravity), and atoms then collapse! - Read "A Brief History Of Time" - loads
of interesting (but useless?) facts for us pedantic engineers.

However, water is unique (or at least very special) in many ways, for example
the fact that it is a liquid at room temperature & the fact that it's solid
phase is less dense than it's liquid phase (So ice floats). Without either of
these, life as we know it (Jim?) would not occur.

Anyway, this has nowt to do with robotics or whatever, so I'll shut up.

Kevin.

P.S. I *really* wanted to post this to off-topic - do I just change the
'Newsgroups' bit to 'lugnet.off-topic'???