 Robotics / 6223
Re: Darn those definitions (was: The new Super Car)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 19:30:29 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Peter Dantic writes:

I think you will find that, with the exception of black hole stuff, everything
is compressible.

[...]

P.Dantic.

Dear Mister Dantic,

I am sure you carefully thought out your statement about compressibility, but I
must point out your intolerably egregious oversights. Specifically, here are
several things that cannot be compressed:

  - Massless particles that travel at the speed of light, such as photons,
neutrinos and the hypothetical "gravitons".

  - A statistically random bitstream, or encrypted data using any sufficiently
good encryption scheme.

  - The angels on the head of a pin. While they appear to fit into a smaller
space, they don't actually do so by taking up less space, but rather by
mutually co-occupying the same space.

  - Political "hot air". Paradixically, it expands in response to greater
pressure, and then expands even more when the pressure is removed.

We would appreciate it if you research these matters mor thoroughly before
shooting out your sloppy overgeneralizations. Thank you, good day.

C. Reebrol