 Robotics / 6120
Re: Darn those definitions (was: The new Super Car)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 00:13:00 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Kevin Baker writes:
In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Jim Choate) writes:

A liquid is an incompressible fluid.

A gas is a compressible fluid.

In lugnet.robotics, Peter Dantic writes:

I think you will find that, with the exception of black hole stuff, everything
is compressible.

It is certainly true to say that a gas is more compressible than a liquid, but
there is no defined 'level of compressibility' that distinguishes a gas from a
liquid.

  I think that you will find that fluid is not compressable.  If fluid were
compressable fish could not live 2 miles down, divers couldn't dive and
dolphins and whales would be crushed on their very common 700 foot dives.

  This is all quite true of water, its not compressable.  Is water unique in
that aspect?

DLC