 Robotics / 6084
Re: LEGO vs. O'Reilly (was Re: RCX 1.5 'paranioa')
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 19:26:06 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Matthew Miller writes:
Robert Munafo <munafo@gcctechNO.SPAMcom> wrote:
I also think LEGO might not like the book because it shifts the market
towards older, more sophisticated customers who tackle tough problems and
ask tough questions. Most of the people who will buy an O'Reilly book are
"engineer types" who will want to make Mindstorms do way more than it was
designed to do.

As long as they're buying, why would Lego mind?

More sophisticated customers tend to place a higher demand (i.e. workload) on
service and technical support. Also, they tend to spread the word that the
system as-supplied is insufficient to do what it was intended.

Children tend to be less demanding and more imaginative -- they just use
whatever they have. Can you imagine a child complaining that they can't build a
perfect MechWarrior because the only trans-orange 2x4 hinge pieces come in a
discontinued $100 set?

When faced with an insurmountable inadequacy, a child's attention span is short
enough that they just go off in a different direction and don't get frustrated.
Therefore, they are more satisfied in the long run.

- Robert Munafo
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13