 Robotics / 6087
Re: LEGO vs. O'Reilly (was Re: RCX 1.5 'paranioa')
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 19:48:41 GMT

Robert Munafo wrote:
More sophisticated customers tend to place a higher demand (i.e. workload) on
service and technical support. Also, they tend to spread the word that the
system as-supplied is insufficient to do what it was intended.

Bad support is bad support - I'd tend to think that an irate parent of a 8-12 yo
would make more bad press than an irate 34 yo - after all, as adults, we *can*
got get a Handi-board if we really want a powerful CPU.

Children tend to be less demanding and more imaginative -- they just use
whatever they have. Can you imagine a child complaining that they can't build a
perfect MechWarrior because the only trans-orange 2x4 hinge pieces come in a
discontinued $100 set?

Again, I see this as the domain of A-R adults - looking at the kids' creations
in
the LEGOMania flyers, they tend to be all over the map on 'realism' and
'accuracy',
and the kids seem just as proud of a big, blocky robot as an intricate Technic
creation.

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
Scientific Atlanta            |