 Robotics / 6023
6022  |  6024
Subject:
LEGO vs. O'Reilly (was Re: RCX 1.5 'paranioa')
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 18:57:34 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Todd Lehman writes:
[...]
Either way that seems really unfortunate because I'm sure it'll be widely
regarded as a canonical "Step 2" when getting started with MindStorms...

Step 1: Buy one or more copies of the LEGO MINDSTORMS RIS.
Step 2: Buy the O'Reilly book, and get the software it talks about.
Step 3: Now you can do useful stuff.

My "Step 2" was to just go out on the Internet and find the information I
needed. There's a lot more on the Internet than anyone will ever manage to fit
into a book.

I also think LEGO might not like the book because it shifts the market towards
older, more sophisticated customers who tackle tough problems and ask tough
questions. Most of the people who will buy an O'Reilly book are "engineer
types" who will want to make Mindstorms do way more than it was designed to do.

- Robert Munafo