 Robotics / 3968
  Contest

We've talked a lot about theory on this list, but how about an actual project contest? I propose a contest. Be the first to create a robot that can enter a room with no obstacles (other than walls), find a randomly placed coke can, pick up the can (...) (25 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

(...) Seems to me that MindStorms doesn't have sensors for to see the coke can so it can "take a look" and run for it. The results will be somewhat random and wins the bot that on average covers more ground using the best filling algorithm and in (...) (25 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

With the restriction that there are no obstacles in the room, the robot could use the IR-Radar scheme that has been discussed to probe around. If it found an obstacle that was only a couple of inches wide it would know that it was a coke can and not (...) (25 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

Well I am definately inn - it's a great use for the proximity detector as well as the light sensor to detect the color of the can. Of course a fast bot would help out alot. How should we judge it? Time? Finesse? Looks? Cheers, David (...) (25 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

The Dallas robotics group has a similar contest. We can adapt our rules from theirs if needed. (...) Joel Shafer joel@connect.net -- Did you check the web site first?: (URL) (25 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

An interesting proposal. (...) I would presume that adding a third motor (like for a gripper to pick up a Coke can) would constitute a non-RIS only solution, since the RIS only comes with two motors? Although I guess you could capture the can with (...) (25 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

I like it! LINC (25 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

Good point - there were only 2 motors. It would be better if it were multiple cans as well. The scoring system on that Dallas contest web page ((URL) looked pretty good to me. It is an interesting problem to drive the bot and pick up the can with (...) (25 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

Let's have a couple of classes of competition. Unlimited class is anything goes. Basic class will be the basic Mindstorm set + one motor. Perhaps we should define a class in between as well. We will have to define the size of the room to prevent a (...) (25 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

It isn't actually that tough to do it with two motors. I can think of two ways off of the top of my head. 1) Motor I - Drives both treads forwards, only drives one backwards Motor II - grabbing the can 2) Motor I - Drives left tread forwards, (...) (25 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

Two questions: One: Is there any prize for winning this contest other than the adulation of the other participants? :) Two: Does the 'bot have to grab the can? Or can it simply push it to the goal? (...) (25 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

(...) Yes! Forget the limitation rules, or at least make the limits on the number of parts a lot higher. To build a bot to meets that challenge is already difficult enough, don't make it even more difficult or very few people will ever make it to (...) (25 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

(...) No (...) goal? Any method to get the can to the finish area is acceptable. Joel Shafer joel@connect.net -- Did you check the web site first?: (URL) (25 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

Dan McCabe writes: > I would presume that adding a third motor (like for a gripper to pick up a Coke > can) would constitute a non-RIS only solution, since the RIS only comes with two > motors? Although I guess you could capture the can with an (...) (25 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

Joel: The only way that these contests could offer a "pot of money" for the winner is if each entry of a vehicle cost the entrant some fee. This could be as little as ten US Dollars, or more if you decided you wanted to shell out. It would then (...) (25 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

(...) I was never serious when I asked if there was any prize for winning (I *DID* try to indicate that with a smile emoticon after the query... maybe that wasn't enough). Simple recognition and acknowledgement is certainly enough as far as I'm (...) (25 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

Actually, I believe that the original poster suggested that here be a bonus or award for achieving the goal while limiting their entry to only a single RIS. Based on the ideas that have been flowing in, it sounds doable to achieve the result with a (...) (25 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest: two motor idea

Alan Do you have a schematic or diagram of your ideas? What type of gearing would you have to allow two separate gear movements forward and back? Does anybody else have any configurations they've come up with to accomplish the same task? I'm (...) (25 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

First, I don't have the time to participate right now, since I have a daytime job and LEGO is only for weekends and holidays, but I'd like to participate somehow! q:-) How long did you say was the time limit to build this bot? Second, I don't have a (...) (25 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest: two motor idea

Michael Powell's directional transmission shows one way to do different things based on the direction of the motor: (URL) this helps, Jonathan -- Did you check the web site first?: (URL) (25 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

(...) I don't anticipate having the time to participate myself either. I have some ideas on how to go about it though, which I've already posted. (...) The Cybermaster does not appear to be robust enough to handle this sort of challenge. I'm not (...) (25 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Contest

(...) It isn't! That's the real challenge!! :-) (...) I don't know if you intend to use the standard firmware, but in the CyberMaster I don't even have that choice. The CyberMaster and the PC were made to work as one. For one thing, without floating (...) (25 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

(...) Hmm. My first thought on this is that, if the room is a simple square or convex shape, then you can simply play out a string from the back of the robot and get it to follow the wall. That is gauranteed to catch the can no-matter where it is. I (...) (25 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest

Here is a pointer to the current description and status of this challenge: (...) - Robert Munafo LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13 (25 years ago, 5-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)