 Robotics / 24292
Re: A LEGO double-throw switch?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 01:45:55 GMT

"Steve Hassenplug" <Steve@TeamHassenplug.org> wrote in message
news:24907.66.84.205.186.1124745613.squirrel@webmail4.pair.com...
On Mon, August 22, 2005 2:05 pm, Brian Davis wrote:
   So I've got an application where a forklift loads a crate onto a
conveyor
belt. I could then start the conveyor belt up by having the forklift
throw a
polarity switch. What I would *like* is that when the crate gets to the
other
end, it somehow stops the conveyor motor again, (here's the tricky part),
leaving the system in a state where the next forklift delivery can
re-trigger
the whole system from the "front end", as it were.
   Oh, did I mention I wanted to do this with just polarity switches, no
RCX or
other "intelligent" systems in the loop?
When the switches are in the same position, the belt will not move.  When
in
opposite positions, it will run (some direction)

Two problems:
1) Half the time, the motor will run backwards (can be fixed using diodes)

I required something that will elimiate the need to worry about which way
the motor is running, a one way foolproof motor drive mechanism might help,
such as this one I was shown by someone in this thread:

http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=13659&t=i&v=a

Unfortunately the original picture depicting the drive I actually built is
no longer online, although one can see the general idea used in my own
creation that I built on from that idea, I didn't get a photo of the actual
mechanism itself, although I'll have to see if I can rectify that problem in
the next couple of days.

My GBC feed-hopper, which fed basketballs and was a bit primitive at that
time.  I'm still accumulating parts for the next revision of the design.

The feed-hopper's one-way drive was made with much help from those who
responded in the thread, and as such this is not my idea, however, if Brian
want motor direction to do more than control a conveyor which will only go
in one direction, as is the case in most assembly-line production models,
this solution might not be the best one for Brian.

The above mechanism provides a simple, yet foolproof way to let a polarity
switch control an on/off function, regardless of which way the motor is
getting driven, as has been detailed by other posters in the
above-referenced thread.  It's 100% foolproof, doesn't require messing about
with polarity issues or complex gearing arrangements, and requires a minimum
of space to implement.

2) The "dead" zone where a crate can turn "off" switch 2, but not move it
all the
way to the "reverse" direction.

I'd suggest mechanically linking the switches (making it so the same
switch is
triggered on both ends)

Get it?

Steve