 Robotics / 24384
Re: A LEGO double-throw switch?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:04:28 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

So.... what was the final solution for this?

   First, I learned a *lot*, so thank you all. As for which "solution" I ended
up using, first disclaimer, I've not yet built a "crate conveyor". But some
prototyping showed that the tank treads just have too much bending friction for
what I wanted, so I started working on a "trolley" system to move crates (using
a string to pull a cart or try along tracks, carrying a crate). Thus, new
problems: I needed the forklift to activate the system, which could then run to
the far end (depositing the crate) and reverse the direction, stopping the
system at the "start" end again. For that (also as yet unbuilt) system, a single
polarity switch that is mechanically flipped back & forth seems best. Getting
through the "dead zone" at the far end is the only major issue, and this can be
done (I think) by having the crate (sliding down a ramp) push the polarity
switch "hard over".
   Does that make sense?

--
Brian Davis