 Robotics / 24280
Re: A LEGO double-throw switch?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:42:12 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Bryan Bonahoom wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
On Tue, August 23, 2005 12:37 pm, Bryan Bonahoom wrote:
You could also link the handle holes of the polarity switches with a solid piece
(as opposed to a single linking axel through the axel holes).  You should be
able to get a 45 degree tilt this way also.

Linking via the handles would cause problems.  First, there is a great deal of
friction added to the system when an axle is in that hole.  Second, I think the
proposed method requires the switches to continue rotating the same direction.

Steve

So - tilting one of the switches is probably the best approach.

Well, given that technic is quantized down to stud or half stud sizes, the
solution may not be obvious.

The easiest angles to create are due to 3-4-5 triangles.  Most of the bent
liftarms are bent based on those angles.

The tri-blade liftarms (available in Gigamesh) give you a nice 120 degree angle,
and can be combined to give you 60 degree angles.

45 degree angles are not so simple.  Do you have a solution in mind?  I know
that one of the bent liftarms supports 45 degree angles, but they can be kind of
gangly.

But I want to know where Brian Davis is.  He started this blasted discussion  :)

Me too!

Bryan

Kev