 Robotics / 24272
Re: A LEGO double-throw switch?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:37:13 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
This means gears, but gears mean play.  One should be able to cancel the play by
using a total of four gears.  One gear for each switch, and two intermediate
gears.  If you "pre-stress" the gears (take out the slack when you put the
second intermediate gear on, the 45 degrees should be reliable.

Otherwise the percentage innacuraccy goes down as the number of teeth get
larger.

Actually, I am not convinced it means gears.  One of the switches could be
mounted with a 45 degree tilt.  This would remove the issue of play in the
gears.

You could also link the handle holes of the polarity switches with a solid piece
(as opposed to a single linking axel through the axel holes).  You should be
able to get a 45 degree tilt this way also.

And, can I have a gorilla mascot too?  :)

Bryan