 Robotics / 23035
RE: RIS 2.0 Problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:04:01 GMT

I know this is a bit late, but we hit major RIS problems the first year we
did FLL.  We switched to ROBOLAB.  No regrets!!!!  Even kids who were
reluctant to change are sold on ROBOLAB.  No comparison.  You'll save
yourself a lot of time and frustration.

My 2 cents,
Liz

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com] On Behalf Of
Andrew G. Meyer
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2004 1:56 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: RIS 2.0 Problems

Hello, thanks for all of the input. To answer some common suggestions:
1. No, the files were not write-protected nor read-only
2. Yes, we were able to create new files, open, edit, and save them, but
they in
turn would occasionally become corrupt themselves 3. To clarify the problem,
the
errors we were having were in conjunction with a repeat until big block,
with a
rotation sensor range as the condition. The error was further confusing to
us
because in some corrupt programs, only a single block would be un-editable,
the
rest being fine, while in others, the entire program would be un-editable.
Being
un-editable for us meant that we could go through the repeat until settings
the rot sensor range, but when we tried to change the values, we were not
able
to close the window by clicking Done, or hitting Enter. In the fully
corrupted
files, when we tried to move stacks around, we could detach them from a
stack,
but could not reattach them elsewhere, or even to the originating stack. 4.
In
regards to copying the files, or saving them under different names, we were
able
to do this, but it did not do anything to solve the problem. 5. Inside the
repeat command, we had a motor control block, using motors A and C, driving
them
for .1 second. This was done for accuracy, and did not seem to be affecting
the
program. 6. This problem is not computer-specific, and seems to be directly
(and
solely) related to the use of a rot sensor range in a repeat until command
control motors. I have written other programs on my own computer for
different
uses (namely a robotic sailcar) which have had similar problems.
Re-installing
the RIS 2.0 software does nothing for the problem.

Thank you all again for the input, and any further would be appreciated. If
desired, I can supply copies of the affected programs for inspection.

Andrew Meyer
Assisant Coach for IDEAL Charter School "Cyberwolves" FLL Team