 Robotics / 23559
Re: RIS 2.0 Problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 02:22:12 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net> wrote:
Thus, technically, it's a non-Lego part and is ruled out by FLL.

Personally, I think that's kinda stupid because the byte-code that ends up
in the RCX is the same whether you generate it with a Lego software package
or a third-party package.

Disallowing NQC is analagous to disallowing Lego models designed on a CAD
system...but that's the rules, stupid or otherwise.

I have no idea who or what the governing body of FLL is. I can understand trying
to create a level playing field for FLL events. That makes sense, after all, a
group that can go out and spend large sums of money on lots of motors and
sensors and RCXs buys their way to the win. That's obviously wrong, in my
opinion anyhow.

But since NQC is free and C is one of the more important languages that budding
computer scientists and engineers will need to know, if a team shows a
preference to use it, I think they should be allowed to do so.

And if there's any sense of unfair competition from groups who wish to use the
Lego software, then that may reflect badly on TLG for not providing access to
the capability of the computer brick they sell but that they may have
unknowingly hobbled.

I would suggest that whoever the various people who are in charge of FLL, people
from TLG's Mindstorms liason and some representatives of the general population
of FLL coaches should sit down and figure out if the rules should be re-examined
in this particular case of a non-Lego product.

JB