 Robotics / 23027
Re: RIS 2.0 Problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:44:49 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
   In lugnet.robotics, Andrew G. Meyer wrote:
   Hello, I am involved with a FLL team, and we just horribly bombed at our regional competition. Part of this failure was an interesting and mind-boggling problem that we found. Our programs were not allowing us to edit them in any way. Is there something that can be done to prevent this from happening? Is it hopeless?

I don’t use the RIS software, but if you copied the files to a CD, then copied them off, the “read-only” attribute may be set, which could make them un-changable.

I tried that, and it makes them un-savable, but not un-changable. But maybe there’s another file somewhere in the RIS software directory that’s read-only that causes the problem? It would be worth checking.

ROSCO

1. Can you create and save NEW programs?

2. If yes, can you open, edit, and save NEW programs?

3. If yes, create a temporary folder in your root drive, typically C:, and copy the troublesome program there. Right click on the new temporary folder, and choose properties. See if “Read-only” is checked; If it is, then uncheck it. Now right click on the program file within the new temporary folder, and choose properties. Check to make sure that it also is not “read-only.” Now try to edit your program, in the temporary folder, and then save any changes. The main thing to look for is the read-only attribute that can be in parent folders and individual files. Read-only will cause the file to be changeable, but not saveable in the Lego software.

What Steve was saying about the file being unchangable, is that saving the file(with changes) is concidered “Changing the file”, since the actual ones and zeros change on the Hard-Drive. What you are saying, about being able to change the program, is that after the Lego programing environment has loaded the file into system memory, it is idependent of the “Read-only” attribute of its Hard-Drive counterpart; That is, until you want to save the changed file, then the Lego Software will say “The file is set to read-only, if you want to save it to a different name, choose save-as”

Just for kicks, try saving your “unsaveable” program with the “Save as” command.

Do you get any errors when you try to save the file normally?

Let me know how it goes, Timothy

(As far as I know, a corrupt file in the lego software would probably not cause this “unsaveable” problem, but I guess it might be possible.)