 Robotics / 23026
Re: RCX Replacement Firmware
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:13:01 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Hansen wrote:

I hope to get a copy of Dick's replacement firmware and I will do my best to
make sure that NQC works with it.  The same goes for BricxCC.  Whether BricxCC
will support the breakpoint/single step features Dick mentioned any time soon is
up in the air at this point.

I've uploaded an early test release of BricxCC and NQC which work with the new
firmware Dick has made available.  It isn't an official release at this point,
but it can be used for testing purposes.  Everything is subject to change based
on feedback from users.

In order to use the Swan firmware with NQC you will need to modify slightly the
.NQH file that Dick has written.  Version 3.0 of NQC uses the '$' character
instead of the '&' character within asm statements.  There are a few places in
the .NQH file where you will find an asm statement containing a '&' character
which needs to be changed to a '$' character.

Also, you should insert

#if defined(__SWAN)

at the start of the file and insert

#endif

at the end of the file.  I've included a version of this header file (modified
as described above) in the zip I uploaded (it is called swan.nqh).

The target for Dick's firmware is specified via

-TSwan

on the NQC command line.  If you use the test release of BricxCC you should
select Swan as the firmware type.

The main change to NQC thus far was to enable the new parameter sources in
Dick's firmware and to improve the code listing output (disassembly).

Email me for a link to a zip containing this early test release of BricxCC and
NQC.

John Hansen
http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/