 Robotics / 22997
Re: RCX Replacement Firmware
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 09:39:22 GMT

That sounds great, almost too good to be true (especially for the 100x
version!)

I hope you didn't took the "too good to be true" as a criticism - it was only an
amazement mark!. BTW, is the 10x version a slow down of 100x one, or is it an
older, less optimized version? (once again, I'm not criticizing, I fairly well
understand that you want to retreive some benefit for your work that must have
been daunting!)

- Use of the Hitachi / Renesas tool chain for development. I found these
tools to be far more efficient than GCC and others in both the size of
generated code and its real time performance.

And what about size of your replacement firmware versus regular LEGO one?
What about 32bits/floating point support size? Is it optional?

I am working on a NQH header file that will provide the #defines to
enable some of the new functionality like 1 millisecond timing. It
should be ready in a few days.

I also have my own home grown IDE that supports the new firmware
functionality. It's something I plan to review / announce in the next
few weeks.

I'm not sure that I can test it soon, but I'm definitely interested to try!

Thanks again for your efforts,

Philo