 Robotics / 21624
Re: rcx unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:15:18 GMT

You need a computer and either a serial or USB IR tower to download the firmware
into the RCX unit before it will respond to the remote control. If all you want
to do is drive the motor outputs, you don't need any programming. Also, it
doesn't have to be a Windows computer. Open-source software exists that allows
you to download the firmware using a Linux or Mac computer.

If all you want is remote control, consider one of the newer Lego RC Racers.
You'll get longer range, faster motors and servo-driven steering without the
overhead of a computer.

If you want your MOC to respond to its environment (fox example, back up when it
runs into something, or make a sound based on some trigger), you'll want to
program it. If you are new to programming, the Mindstorms software is a great way
to tinker with robotics without a steep learning curve. As a side note, the 2003
US Holiday catalog has a very complete RIS bundle for, IIRC, $239 US.

Allan Tobey wrote:
I'm new to the RCX Lego world and robotics. Can I use the remote control unit
item# 9738 with the Electric Mindstorms RCX unit item # 884 without any computer
programming? Will they work together out of the box? Can the RCX unit be
completely encased in a Lego Model and still receive the signal from the remote?

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thank you.

Allan