 Robotics / 21611
Re: rcx unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:25:12 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Allan Tobey wrote:
I'm new to the RCX Lego world and robotics. Can I use the remote control unit
item# 9738 with the Electric Mindstorms RCX unit item # 884 without any computer
programming? Will they work together out of the box? Can the RCX unit be
completely encased in a Lego Model and still receive the signal from the remote?

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thank you.

Allan

The RCX has to have the firmware installed to be able to respond to the
remote--out of the box (or sometimes after replacing batteries), there is no
firmware installed on the RCX and you have to download it using a PC.

The issue of enclosing the RCX is 'hit and miss'--depends on a few things--I've
completely enclosed the RCX in LEGO on all sides, but had a window in front of
the IR port of the RCX and that works just fine, but limits the 'arc of
controllability'--you have to be 'in front' of the IR port of the RCX.
Sometimes you're lucky and the IR signal reflects off walls and other objects,
but that's hit and miss.

I find the best position is placing the RCX vertical, with the IR port at the
top, and having that little bit of the RCX exposed in whatever creation you
build.

Hope that helps,

Dave K