 Robotics / 21612
Re: rcx unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:37:58 GMT

Allan Tobey wrote:

Can the RCX unit be
completely encased in a Lego Model and still receive the signal from the remote?

Definitely not.  The signal is transmitted via infrared signals (IR) --
the same way your TV remote communicates with the television.  If you
cover up the receiver, there is no way to pick up the signal.

Also, remember that IR is directed... so the signal from the remote will
either have to either be pointed at the IR receiver on the RCX or else
will have to ricochet off a wall or other smooth surface to get to the
receiver.

Ways around this exist, but they are costly.