 Robotics / 21615
Re: rcx unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:41:18 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
Allan Tobey wrote:

Can the RCX unit be
completely encased in a Lego Model and still receive the signal from the remote?

Definitely not.  The signal is transmitted via infrared signals (IR) --
the same way your TV remote communicates with the television.  If you
cover up the receiver, there is no way to pick up the signal.

Also, remember that IR is directed... so the signal from the remote will
either have to either be pointed at the IR receiver on the RCX or else
will have to ricochet off a wall or other smooth surface to get to the
receiver.

Actually, I have found that the RCX can "see" infrared through bricks.  A long
time ago, I tried to cover up the RCX by building a box around it out of LEGO
and was very surprised to find that I could still control it with the remote.  I
think the infrared light seeps through the cracks between the bricks well enough
to be recognized.  The light also can bounce off walls and around corners, so it
is not necessary to point the remote directly at the RCX.

Of course, it works better when you don't cover the receiver and when you have
direct line-of-sight, but these things are not completely necessary.

- Chris.