 Robotics / 21619
Re: rcx unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:59:54 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Allan Tobey wrote:
I'm new to the RCX Lego world and robotics. Can I use the remote control unit
item# 9738 with the Electric Mindstorms RCX unit item # 884 without any computer
programming? Will they work together out of the box? Can the RCX unit be
completely encased in a Lego Model and still receive the signal from the remote?

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thank you.

Allan

I have recieved a lot of helpful information, thank you.

Let me explain what I want to do, then maybe someone will have a suggestion.

I want to create a MOC of a remote controlled dump truck. The problem with using
the RCX unit is that the receiver unit needs to be visible which takes away from
the look of the MOC. I purchased the RC Race Buggy #8475, but that has only 1
connection pt for the motor. I need at least 3 connection pts including
steering. Also the RCX unit on the buggy is not "Lego friendly", meaning it is
not brick shaped. Someone suggested the Bionicle rcx unit, but i was unable to
find it. I don't know if this will meet the qualifications I have or not.

Are there any RCX units (dare I say it) created by a 3rd party company that are
Lego friendly. I know Hi-technic used to make some units but they are no longer
in production.

Thanks again for your help.

Allan