 Robotics / 21614
Re: rcx unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:05:25 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Allan Tobey wrote:
I'm new to the RCX Lego world and robotics. Can I use the remote control unit
item# 9738 with the Electric Mindstorms RCX unit item # 884 without any >computer
programming?

Basically yes, but you still need to install RIS 2.0 to your computer in order
to download firmware to RCX. After downloading firmware you can drive RCX via
remote control unit

Will they work together out of the box?
Nope, as I wrote, you have to install RIS 2.0 first (but no programming skills
are required for this step)

Can the RCX unit be
completely encased in a Lego Model and still receive the signal from the >remote?

No as it is infrared-based communication. It works pretty much the same as
remote controll of your TV-set. If you cannot see RCX's black window from your
post, you probably can't controll it. At least that black window in the front
has to be visible = not covered by any bricks.

If you are looking for something that doesn't need to be programmed and is
remote controlled, consider buying one of these:
8475 RC race buggy, 8366 Supersonic RC

Cybermaster unit is similar to RCX, but controlled via radio waves so it can
help you too.

But the best thing I can advice is not to worry about programming as RIS 2.0
makes it pretty easy.

Good luck
Robert