 Robotics / 21226
Re: RIS 3.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 15:08:40 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net> wrote:

I was rather suprised to see that in the latest Pitsco Dacta catalog,
there is hardly any space dedicated to Lego robotics - that space now
being taken up by Tamiya and a bunch of no-name kits that can only be
built one way and can only do one thing.

Pitsco were the last place to buy a bunch of useful Lego parts.

I don't know about RIS 3.0, but I disagree with you about the latest Pitco Dacta
Catalog. I think the latest catalog is the best they have ever done. It places a
lot of emphasis on Robotics. Remember there are two catalogs. The Pitsco Ideas
and Solutions catalog and the Pitsco Lego Dacta catalog. The one that has just
come out is the Ideas and Solutions catalog and I beleive this is the one you
are talking about. This catalog has never had a lot of Lego material in it (the
Pitsco Lego Dacta catalog contains much more Lego material). I think the latest
Ideas and Solutions catalog has some quite interesting Lego models in it. Also,
the Robolab software nows comes with a set of training missions. Dacta recently
sent me a missions CD free of charge. Lastly, I would hardly call the Parallax
Basic Stamp a no-name product. I suspect there are more people using this latter
product to build robots than almost any other product on the market. I use both
Lego and Parallax-based robots and both have their place. I think the Parallax
products are a logical follow-on to Lego in the same way that the Handyboard is.
I do agree with you that Dacta kits are expensive!