 Robotics / 19546
Re: which kit 1.5, or 2.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 20:52:55 GMT

Dave Cramer wrote:

I am looking to buy one of the kits but would like to be able to use all
the linux programming tools available. What are the differences between
the 1.5, and 2.0 kits?

There are Linux tools available.  NQC (Not Quite C) is very popular
amongst serious builders - and it runs nicely under Linux.  You can
also get into the whole BrickOS thing - which is a replacement
OpenSourced operating system that runs on the RCX computer and can
run programs compiled with GCC.

You can't run Lego's graphical programming environment - but IMHO,
that's no great loss.   It might work under WINE or WINEX - but I
don't know anyone who every tried that.

Start off with NQC - progress to BrickOS/GCC if you find you need to
(most people don't).
HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net