 Robotics / 19545
Re: Newbie has an idea - Nascar style racing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 22:08:02 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net> writes:
Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Jeff Wood writes:
For it to catch on, (for many people to try it) it would have to be possible
& easy to do at home.  So it would start with one class, limited to only
Mindstorm RIS parts.  2 motors, 1 light & 2 touch sensors.

Yes - I agree - but having a second 'formula' to allow for the experts
to race honking great machines with multiple RCX's and a dozen motors
would be nice.

Yes.  But start simple.

But then it would be easy to print out the mat on a standard printer (not
durable) and cover the bottom of the table.  What size are most plotters?

Most people don't have access to plotters.  The most likely thing that
everyone will have would be a standard ink jet printer with A4 or
Letter sized paper.

As Brass said, Kinkos can do 3' by X  Or, I'm sure it would be possible to
make a Word document that can be taped together.

IMHO, the rules should specify a minimum track width, a minimum
turn radius - and just tell drivers that the entire track will fit
within a 2'x4' space.

2'x4'?  no, that's much too small.  (This may be where we loose people)  I
was thinking 4' x 8' with  2' radius turns, and a normal width of ~2'.
Then, if the robots were limited to 8" wide, they could still run 3 wide
(almost!)