 Robotics / 19544
Re: Newbie has an idea - Nascar style racing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 21:25:07 GMT

Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Jeff Wood writes:
For it to catch on, (for many people to try it) it would have to be possible
& easy to do at home.  So it would start with one class, limited to only
Mindstorm RIS parts.  2 motors, 1 light & 2 touch sensors.

Yes - I agree - but having a second 'formula' to allow for the experts
to race honking great machines with multiple RCX's and a dozen motors
would be nice.

But then it would be easy to print out the mat on a standard printer (not
durable) and cover the bottom of the table.  What size are most plotters?

Most people don't have access to plotters.  The most likely thing that
everyone will have would be a standard ink jet printer with A4 or
Letter sized paper.

I think the idea of using the grey scale value to indicate your
position on the width of the track is a great idea.

It allows for beginners to use line-following code to "get something
going" - and allows experts to do things like measure the rate of
change of brightness to figure out when they are on a turn and to
work out their tactics accordingly.

With only one light sensor, you can only measure one parameter -
having that parameter be your position on the width of the track
seems to be the most useful thing for both beginners and experts
alike.

IMHO, the rules should specify a minimum track width, a minimum
turn radius - and just tell drivers that the entire track will fit
within a 2'x4' space.

Don't forget to add some rules about the maximum length and width
of the robots.
HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net