 Robotics / 19244
Re: Announcing LegWay, Finally
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:52:08 GMT

Congrats for making *THE* LegWay :) ...a much talked theoretically possible
project, but you done it :)

Thanks

Question: Your solution only works on perfectly horizontal surfaces, right ?

hmm. no.  A couple people have asked this question.

Actually, I've put it on a table, and lifted one side of the table.  LegWay
will tilt, to correct for the angle.  (while it rolls down the hill!)

It constantly checks the distance to the ground, and the motor speed (power
being sent to the motor, not the actual speed the wheels are going)  It
attemps to keep a constant distance to the ground AND a motor speed of zero.

If the distance to the ground is changing, or the motors are running, LegWay
will increase motor power until it reaches a balance point.  And the balance
point is re-calculated every 50 ms, based on distance & speed.

PS: IMHO one cool idea for another video whould be you pushing the brick
with your finger, seeing the brick try to stay upright :) eh

Yes, I need to get this on video.  It does very well with this.  You can, of
course) push it too hard.  :)  But it will right itself very nicely.  I also
need to make a clip of it balancing on an incline.

At some point, I may add a rotation sensor, so it knows how fast the wheels
are actually going, not just the motor power being sent.

Thanks for the ideas,

Steve