 Robotics / 1752
Re: IR Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 07:17:42 GMT

In article <dbaum-2212981930170001@pm3-6-12.chi-focal.enteract.com>,
Dave Baum <lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com> writes
I think there's also some sort of AGC on the
pre-amp which is why tranmissions are always balanced (same number of 0's
and 1's).

I have come across this statement (balanced 0's and 1's) several times
but it is not quite true.  It would be true if the RS232 frame was 8
data and no parity, but AIUI the RCX uses odd parity.  This means that
there will be times when a sequence of bytes is sent which all contain
the parity bit set to a 1.  Admittedly this only unbalances the signal
by one part in eleven*, but it is still an imbalance.

(* 8 data + 1 start bit + 1 stop bit + 1 parity bit = 11)
--
Regards - Peter Hesketh, Mynyddbach, Mon.
Forty reasons why a dog is better than a woman: number 14