 Robotics / 1778
Re: IR Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 17:37:57 GMT

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, dave madden wrote:

I can handle the c/dtors, but I could use a pointer to a simple memory
map (e.g. ROM is 0x1111 to 0x2222; Flash is 0x3333 to 0x4444, RAM is
0x5555 to 0x6666; addr 0x7777 controls the frobblewitz; ...).  I'm
sure I can get it from a combination of code spelunking and
experiment, but if somebody has prepared one...

Look at the Hitachi H8/3292 documentation -- it has all of that for you.
Briefly, ROM is 0x0000-3FFF, external address space is 0x8000-0xFB7F,
internal RAM is 0xFD80-0xFF7F, external address space is 0xFF80-0xFF87,
and the peripheral register field is 0xFF88-0xFFFF.  All of the on-chip
peripherals are fully documented in the Hitachi documentation.

I don't have a memory map of the RCX's external address space, but at least
some of it is used for peripherals (my guess is 0xF000 and up, since that is
where the motor controller sits).

=>BTW, do you have instructions for getting egcs working? I tried but it
=>didn't work, and ended up with gcc instead...

I just configured as described in Markus' web pages:

    ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --target=h8300-hitachi-hms

and ran a make.  Several things failed -- fortran was the big one,
IIRC -- but the C and C++ compiler passes were left in the gcc
directory, so I just copied them where they needed to go and fiddled
around with support files until everything worked.  EGCS has a
monolithic build that I don't understand well; I'm sure there's an
easier way to tell it to only build C and C++, but I don't know what
it is.  Anyway, if anybody's interested, I can pack up the cross
compiler tree and put it up for FTP...  I always install big packages
entirely under /usr/local/packages/some-package-name, so it's easy to
pack, easy to install, and easy to delete when you decide you don't
want it.

make LANGUAGES="c c++" will do the trick.  Objective-C should work as well,
although I haven't tried it.

I had to make small hacks to libgcc2.c and frame.c to account for the fact
that there are some headers missing for the H8, such as stdio.h.

John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services
jat@Traveller.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801