 Robotics / 1746
Re: IR Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 01:30:16 GMT

In article <199812221913.LAA23219@paradigm.webvision.com>,
lego-robotics@crynwr.com (dave madden) wrote:

Hi.  I have a Puma IR adapter that I think is fairly generic -- it was
provided to work with a Sony digital camera, but it receives regular
IR remote control transmissions, and *almost* works with my RCX.
However, it appears that the LEGO(r) IR tower does a little more than
my Puma adapter: talkrcx, send, and firmdl work with the tower, but
not with the adapter.

Does anybody know what goes on inside the tower before data is spit
out the serial cable?

Almost nothing.  Tx is just the TXD signal gated to send the 38kHz
carrier.  It also ties into a timer circuit for the auto-shutoff.  Rx is a
little more complicated - a filter/amp/comparator system to detect the
presence of 38kHz IR.  I think there's also some sort of AGC on the
pre-amp which is why tranmissions are always balanced (same number of 0's
and 1's).

Here's a sample of talkrcx sending a ping to the RCX, using the Puma
adapter:

   talkrcx Version 0.2, using /dev/cua1 for the serial port.
   Type> 10
   No echo: sent 55 ff 00 18 e7 18 e7
             got 55 ff 00 e7 18 e7 18

I think the pings look fine.  Packets look like this...

where <d0>, <d1>...<dn> is the message, and <sn> is the simple sum of <d0>
through <dn>.

you send command 0x10, then the response to this has <d0> = ~0x10 = 0xef.

Since I'm not familiar with talkrcx, I may be mis-reading your output.

If you want help debugging this, download nqcc from
http://www.enteract.com/~dbaum/lego/nqc/index.html.  If you use the -v
option, then downloading will use verbose mode which logs all I/O to the
console.  Capture the output and e-mail me - I can probably figure out
what's going wrong.

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com