 Robotics / 1747
Re: Batteries Dead
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 01:43:14 GMT

The only thing I would add is that 'cooler' temperatures will prolong shelve life
of a drycell battery  (AA type).

"John A. Tamplin" wrote:

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Peter Baggiolini wrote:

I turned on my RCX for the first time in about a month.  A Month ago, my
batteries were brand new and working fine.  When I turned it on today, it
beeped at me like it was dying, and the lcd display started to fade.

Questions:
1) Does the RCX Use power when it is off?

Yes, it is in standby mode waiting for an interrupt.  Standby mode greatly
reduces power requirements, but it maintains RAM contents.  That is why you
don't have to download firmware every time you turn it on.

2) Is this normal?

Yes.

3) When I replace my batteries, do I have to reload firmware?

Yes.

4) My designated lego room is the coldest room in the house this time of the
year..  Could this have accelerated the power loss?

I don't know much about optimal battery storage conditions, but I am sure
that anything you would consider acceptable for human habitation would not
have a significant effect on battery life.

John A. Tamplin                                 Traveller Information Services
jat@Traveller.COM                               2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100                 Huntsville, AL 35801