 Robotics / 15406
Re: Win2K and IR Tower - WinME too?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 21:07:56 GMT

According to the schematics of John Barnes (Serial IR tower), the only way to light the green LED is to sent data or more precise, to hold the TXD line in high state.
I've just tested my IR tower (with a general comm driver, which is able to control every individual control line) and that's correct, no control lines are able to light the green LED and thus powering the IR-leds.

(For this test I removed my modification, because in fact I've modified my tower, to keep the tower alive under control of the RTS line)

By the way, the orginal commport settings are of none importance at all, because the will always be overriden by the active serial commport driver.

Ralph Hempel wrote:

Greg wrote:

I've experienced this problem both using nqc and the java serial
comm classes.
Both are using the microsoft serial port driver, I assume.  FWIW,
the machine is
a Dell Dimension Laptop running Win2k.  I am not certain under
what circumstances
the LED comes on or remains on - I only noticed the LED staying
on after I'd
determined that I was having serious comm problems.

On my laptop, the green light on the tower comes on as soon as I plug
it in. When I run CRT 3.3 (great terminal emulator) the light goes OFF
unless I'm actually transmitting!

In setting up CRT, it doesn't matter what kind of flow control
I'm using, the green light on the tower never comes on unless
I'm transmitting.

I'm starting to lean towards the idle line state that Win2K (or the
laptop BIOS) leaves some of the control lines in....

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com

Stef Mientki