 Robotics / 15396
Re: Win2K and IR Tower - WinME too?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 02:08:32 GMT

In article <NKEDKCPBABCCHBHCNFOJMEMHCEAA.rhempel@bmts.com>, "Ralph
Hempel" <rhempel@bmts.com> wrote:

John Hansen wrote:

My understanding of the IR tower issue that is being discussed
here is that
simply plugging the IR tower into a serial port on a machine
running W2K is
causing the LED to turn on and stay on continuously so long as the PC
is
operating.  I may have misunderstood the previous messages.  Is it
Spirit
that seems to be continually driving the LED when used on a PC
running W2K?

No, just plug the IR tower into a serial port of a PC running Win2K
with nothing but the desktop showing. The green LED comes on, but
I'm not sure if the IR led is energizer or not...

Cheers, Ralph

I don't have any first hand exprience with this, although a few people
have reported that when using NQC on Win2K the IR tower's green LED
stays on.  I went over the NQC serial code very thoroughly, and I'm
confident NQC is closing the serial driver (or at least making the
appropriate Win32 call to close the device...who knows what the OS is
actually doing with that call).

Given the design of the IR tower, I suspect the TXD serial line isn't
returning completely to idle.  Perhaps not enough of a difference to be
a valid RS-232 bit, but enough to trigger the tower.  If the level is
sufficient to keep the tower activated (greed LED on), then its also
probably enough to be sending IR as well.

I really want to look at what's happening with a scope, but as I said, I
haven't ever seen this first hand (no Win2K machines).

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com