 Robotics / 15161
15160  |  15162
Subject:
Reply-To setting in mailing lists
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 23:08:04 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Chris 'Xenon' Hanson writes:
What software runs this mailing list?

Chris,

The quick answer is that the list software you're using is called "ezmlm"
<http://www.ezmlm.org/>.

A more complete answer, however, is that you're actually on a pure-
mailing-list half of a bidirectional mailing-list-to-newsgroup gateway.
That is, some people post to the group/list via NNTP (netnews) and some
people post via SMTP (email)...  Here's a rough diagram:

lugnet.robotics <=> lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com <=> lego-robotics@crynwr.com
NNTP newsgroup  <=> SMTP mailing list          <=> SMTP mailing list
LUGNET News     <=> LUGNET News-by-Mail        <=> ezmlm
lugnet.com      <=> lugnet.com                 <=> crynwr.com

I ask because I'd like to
find out what it would take to get it to put the ML address into
messages as the Reply-To address. I run a couple of lists myself
(using 7-line SED scripts) and it seems like this shouldn't be
difficult.

According to the ezmlm FAQ,

   http://www.ezmlm.org/faq-0.40/FAQ-9.html#ss9.8

it's supposed to be pretty easy to set that way, but it's not recommended --
and you would also have to convince the list admin (Russell Nelson) of the
lego-robotics@crynwr.com list that it would be a good thing rather than a
bad thing.  Historically, it hasn't been a good thing to force as a default.

I can't enumerate the number of time's (like just a moment ago)
that I replied directly to the sender, not to the list, forgetting
to change the To line.

Ya, this comes up as a frequent request.  What it boils down to is that
every user has a different preference about which way it should be, but they
all fall into two camps.  The "path of least possible harm" has been the one
chosen here in the past, both for the lego-robotics@crynwr.com list and for
the lugnet.* lists.

In the best of all possible worlds, each user could tell the listserver
which way he/she wanted the Reply-To header to be set:

   a) to the group/list
     or
   b) to the poster/author

Here are a couple of my old rants on why I think that (b) is the "right"
way, even though I know there's not _really_ any "right" way to set things
up:

   http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=14
   http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=12097
   http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=12098

If you have a strong preference for (a), then (b) seems wrong, and
vice-versa.  And as far as general user expectations go, the tides are
slowly turning from (b) to (a) being the preferred choice.  Why this slow
change over time?  I don't know, but the writing is on the wall.  :-)

I can see this has been causing and continues to cause a great amount of
frustration for people.

I want to help.  And I want to fulfill a semi-promise I made to LUGNET
News-by-Mail users long ago.

I'm adding a user-settable option in the LUGNET News-by-Mail system that
lets you pick which way YOU want the lists to operate, completely
independently of how other people want it to operate.  This will go in two
steps:  First, an internal setting sans user interface, just to test it all
out (proof of concept) and second, some conflibberjibbets somewhere where
you get to say way you want it to be.

Suzanne and I have been alpha-testing the option for the past few days.  All
the back-end code for this is in and running now.  In the meantime, before
there is a user interface for making the selection, if you would like to
participate in the test, drop me a quick note and give me your email address
that you subscribed with and ask me to manually set you up with the Reply-To
field set to the list instead of the poster.  You'll start receiving your
messages that way while everyone else still gets them the traditional way.
(Note: this applies only to people receiving lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com or
subgroups, not to people receiving lego-robotics@crynwr.com.)

I'll post more details when I get a user-interface cobbled together for
this.

--
Todd S. Lehman | LUGNET Admin <todd@lugnet.com>