 CAD / Development / 14
Re: Proposal for Revised Memorial
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:03:58 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:
(Guess posting from e-mail isn't going to work without a lot of effort
on my part since it isn't being passed with reply-to's set to the
group.  Oh well, I can still archive posts.)
[...]

The Reply button/keystroke should reply to the poster only -- that's how
newsreaders work and that's how mailing lists are supposed to work.  To reply
to the group instead of the poster only, simply use the Reply-All function
instead of Reply.

Keep in mind that if the Reply-To field were set to the group, there would
be two nasty problems:

1)  Anytime you wanted to do a private reply, you'd have to cut & paste
    someone's e-mail address out of the original message and into your
    reply.

2)  You always risk accidentally sending a private mail to the group.
    This happened a couple times to some of the lego-robotics@crynwr.com
    subscribers who received lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com messages back
    before the reply-to problem was fixed.  In general, it's much worse to
    accidentally send a private reply to a group and have everyone see it
    than it is to accidentaly send a group reply privately and have only
    one person see it.  Plus, in the latter case, you'll notice that your
    message didn't show up, and you can make up for the mistake.

--Todd

p.s.  Someone said that there are broken mail apps out there which don't have
a Reply-All option.  Would a feasable workaround be a user-preference on the
News-by-Mail page where you could specify whether you wanted the Reply-To
field set to either the poster or the group on the messages sent to you?
(Note:  The latter destroys mapping of the 'Followup-To' ng header.  I would
really hate to implement a preference like this.)