 Robotics / 14843
Re: List software?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 04:09:43 GMT

Russell Nelson wrote:

Steve Baker writes:
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson wrote:

   I can't enumerate the number of time's (like just a moment ago)
that I replied directly to the sender, not to the list, forgetting
to change the To line.

What ends up happening is that people *don't* politely edit the 'To:'
lines - instead they hit "Reply All" and you end up with duplicate
emails all over the place.  Those of us with clunky old modems and
poor telephony (19200bd on a *good* day) actually *care* about that!

The problem is not the list software.  The problem is your email
software.  You need a "Reply to Recipient" command.  If your software
has such a command, use it.

I don't think that's commonly available - I don't see it under either PINE
or
Netscape 4.x (the two mailers I use regularly).  The observed fact that I
get duplicate replies to nearly every message I post to this list
suggests that even if that *IS* a common feature, people simply don't use
it often.  Filtering out duplicates is possible with some software - but
since the filtering happens in the mailer, the bandwidth wastage has
already happened.

If your software doesn't have one, fix it yourself.

Dive into the bowels of Pine and Mozilla?  I think I have better ways to
spend my life!

If you're stuck using software you can't change, ask the author to fix it.

Well, I maintain that since everyone won't do that, a better solution is
to change the way this mailing list works to more closely match the way
the *VAST* majority of lists work these days.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>