 Robotics / 14848
Re: List software?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 12:10:56 GMT

Andy Gombos writes:
> So what software does this?  If it is so common to have in an
> e-mail program, then which do it?

I know of no email software with a "Reply to Recipient" command --
*THAT* is the problem.  That's why mailing list operators are under
such pressure to misconfigure their lists.  Think about it -- "Why
would you want to reply to yourself"?  However odd it sounds, the
command is *precisely* what is needed to reply to a mailing list.

Ask your vendor for "Reply to Recipient".  And when they ask "Why
would you want to reply to yourself", say "Because of mailing lists."

Tell everyone you know that "Reply to Recipient" is the fix for broken
mailing lists which do not allow you to reply privately to someone.
Spread the idea around, and someday, maybe someday we can eliminate
the curse of mailing lists configured to "Reply-To: list".

Yes, I'm opinionated about this.  You should be too.  Or is it
unimportant to be able to reply to someone without accidentally
sending your reply to everyone?

--
-russ nelson will be speaking at http://www.osdn.com/conferences/brie/
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | T-568-B rules!