 Robotics / 12097
Re: REPLYTO field.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 01:52:23 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, sjbaker1@airmail.net writes:
Is there any way we can make messages coming from this list have the
list's name in the 'ReplyTo' field instead of the author's name.

1) This is the ONLY list out of a dozen that I'm subscribed to that
   works this old-fashioned way...so I'm forever sending replies to
   just one person when I think I'm talking to the list.

Lesser of two evils:  It's better for that to happen accidentally than for
the reverse to happen accidentally (sending a reply to the whole list when
you think you're talking to only one person)!

Of course, the ultimate geek thing would be if you could set a preference
saying which way you wanted it.

2) Lots of people seem to hit 'ReplyAll' to get around that relatively
   easily,    and then the original author gets TWO copies of the reply,
   one from the list and one from the respondant.

Not necessarily.  Just because you received a message from someone on the
list/group doesn't mean that they're also subscribed for e-mail delivery of
it.  For example, if someone posts via NNTP, then it'll look to you as though
it was a e-mail message to the list from them, since you're receiving via
e-mail.  If you reply to them plus the list, they'll only get one copy of
your reply -- from you.  They'll also see your reply if they're reading via
NNTP.  Or maybe they're reading via HTTP.  In any event, it's not necessarily
a given that they'll receive two copies.  If it's something you're worried
about, you can always delete their name from the 'To:' line of your outgoing
message before sending it.

Whilst we are about it, how about messages coming from the list starting
with a short string in square brackets to identify it at a glance.

Well, unfortunately, that would screw up subject lines in replies.

Once
again, this is something that about 80% of the lists I subscribe to are
doing - and it really helps when you are in a hurry and only want to
read threads from a single place.

Your e-mail app should be able to filter your messages into folders for you
folders based on the 'To:' header of the messages.  You could also filter
based on the 'X-Loop:' or 'X-Message-Archive:' headers.

--Todd