 Robotics / 15086
Re: Struggling with encoder wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 23:50:17 GMT

Chris Osborn wrote:

In article <GBnvns.3vw@lugnet.com>, Xanthra47 <jmantor@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
As for speeding up the system you've got, I'm not sure I can help
there... It seems that you've done a very good job optimizing it for
compact storage.  I was trying to fathom a hash function to help
here, but I haven't come up with one that wouldn't take much more
space to store the table.  I'm intrigued though : )

If I had room for a 64 element array, I'd just use that and make a
lookup table. Unfortunately I don't, and I can't figure out a way to
pack things in and still look them up with any speed. I also can't
find any way to mathematically convert the group of wedges to a
position either, and since they're laid out kinda wildly, there
probably isn't a way.

I also still have problems getting semi-accurate reads. As the wheel
turns and the sensor sits between two different colors, it tends to
see it as a different gray and misreads.

You could make a big wheel made of lego plates, and put smooth ones on top for
'colors'. Then you could use a touch sensor, and use the difference between the
low spots and the high spots as 1 location.

Do you really need to know the direction that the wheel is going?  You know
that for a given motor direction, the wheel will rotate a given way due to the
gears.  Use the sensor edge count mode to count both -_- and _-_ edges, and get
2x the resolution (?).

Andy
--
See my Visual Interface for leJOS at http://lvi.sourceforge.net