 Robotics / 15121
Re: Struggling with encoder wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 17:06:40 GMT

In article <GBpz1w.I6C@lugnet.com>, Dean Hystad <dean.hystad@mts.com> wrote:
As far as the rotation sensor, you could always use gearing to increase the
resolution.  Place it on the shaft of a worm gear driving a 42 tooth gear
and you get 1 count = 1/2deg (approx).  It's not as cool as an optical
encoder, but it is robust.

That was the first version of the webcam mount. After rotating back
and forth a few times you can't tell where the camera is
anymore. There also aren't any 42 tooth gears BTW, just a 40.

Last night I used the datalog to record what the light sensor was
reading as the wheel passed by. The values actually look pretty good,
so I'm gonna work on my algorithm more to improve the detection. If
anyone wants a copy of the log, let me know.

--
Chris Osborn                      Full System, Inc.
fozztexx@fullsystem.com           2160 Jefferson St., #240