 Robotics / 15095
Re: Struggling with encoder wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:43:35 GMT

Chris,

This idea would require an additional motor, but, an alternate approach
might be to create your wheel with 36 alternating grey and white (perhaps
by having a third or fouth shade/color you could have more information)
segments.  Then, in each segment have 5 radial bars at preset distances from
the center.  These bars would be turned on or off ie. black or white and
would describe the segment number.  You would now have six pieces of binary
information which will allow you to count to 64.  However, to read this, you
would have to scan radially but you will end up knowing the absoloute
position of the wheel.  It would also infer that the wheel was not turning,
however, once you knew the position, you could rapidly move the wheel N
segments.  The programing and the calculation would be fast and simple, but
the scanning would be slower.

Phil.

In lugnet.robotics, Jason S. Mantor writes:
   Pretty neat Chris.  You've very nearly recreated a special kind of
optical encoder that was developed by my former employers called a virtual
absolute encoder.  It didn't use diferent colors but it used a "time-window"
to read the last few states off of a disc which had "white noise" encoded on
the data track.  The look up is *very* fast becuse the "white noise" is
generated using a simple linear feedback shift register.
   As for speeding up the system you've got, I'm not sure I can help
there... It seems that you've done a very good job optimizing it for compact
storage.  I was trying to fathom a hash function to help here, but I haven't
come up with one that wouldn't take much more space to store the table.  I'm
intrigued though : )
                                       -JSM

"Chris Osborn" <fozztexx@pez.fullsystem.com> wrote in message

I'm having a hard time finding a good algorithm for the encoder wheel
I came up with for use on my webcam. The way I packed the bits in the
lookup table has made it hard to get any speed out of the algorithms.

I'm using NQC, and the LEGO OS seems incredibly slow.

I've got a write-up with pictures on the whole thing at

http://www.fozztexx.com/LEGO/Webcam/

--
Chris Osborn                      Full System, Inc.
fozztexx@fullsystem.com           2160 Jefferson St., #240