 Robotics / 15076
Re: Struggling with encoder wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 04:19:36 GMT

    Pretty neat Chris.  You've very nearly recreated a special kind of
optical encoder that was developed by my former employers called a virtual
absolute encoder.  It didn't use diferent colors but it used a "time-window"
to read the last few states off of a disc which had "white noise" encoded on
the data track.  The look up is *very* fast becuse the "white noise" is
generated using a simple linear feedback shift register.
    As for speeding up the system you've got, I'm not sure I can help
there... It seems that you've done a very good job optimizing it for compact
storage.  I was trying to fathom a hash function to help here, but I haven't
come up with one that wouldn't take much more space to store the table.  I'm
intrigued though : )
                                        -JSM

"Chris Osborn" <fozztexx@pez.fullsystem.com> wrote in message

I'm having a hard time finding a good algorithm for the encoder wheel
I came up with for use on my webcam. The way I packed the bits in the
lookup table has made it hard to get any speed out of the algorithms.

I'm using NQC, and the LEGO OS seems incredibly slow.

I've got a write-up with pictures on the whole thing at

http://www.fozztexx.com/LEGO/Webcam/

--
Chris Osborn                      Full System, Inc.
fozztexx@fullsystem.com           2160 Jefferson St., #240