 Robotics / 15124
Re: Struggling with encoder wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 22:32:35 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Chris Osborn writes:
In article <GBpz1w.I6C@lugnet.com>, Dean Hystad <dean.hystad@mts.com> wrote:
As far as the rotation sensor, you could always use gearing to increase the
resolution.  Place it on the shaft of a worm gear driving a 42 tooth gear
and you get 1 count = 1/2deg (approx).  It's not as cool as an optical
encoder, but it is robust.

That was the first version of the webcam mount. After rotating back
and forth a few times you can't tell where the camera is
anymore. There also aren't any 42 tooth gears BTW, just a 40.

I have noticed the lost count phenomenon also (you attribute it to gear slop
on you web page, but gear slop will give you errors in the 1/2 a tooth range
or less and it doesn't get worse over time).  In fact there was a very long
thread about it a few months ago.  I came away with the feeling that people
using NQC were having a worse time of it then the legOS folks.  To get
around this I usually use a touch sensor to occasionally home the rotation
sensor.  It has worked really well for me.