 Robotics / 15105
Re: Struggling with encoder wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 21:54:37 GMT

Hello,

light sensor wheel. But I'm not sure how to build small round things
out of Lego that have 36 divisions at even points around them. I
thought about using a cardboard disk, but I decided it would bend too
easily after just a little use and the touch sensors wouldn't detect
it correctly.
What is Lego made out of?  ==> ABS plastic
What can you buy in sheets with the same thickness as Lego? ==> ABS plastic

So what I would do if I were you is go to a modelbuilder's supplier and ask
for a sheet of ABS of 1.5 (?) mm thick.  It's great to build containers of,
or just make circles of plastic.  Dividing the wheel in 36 sectors can't be
that hard; you can apply the colors with felt-tip alcohol pencils if you can
manage to find white ABS (mine is grey).  To position the wheel correctly,
you can cut out notches at the edge, so that a touch sensor can record the
correct position of the wheel and a rotation sensor couldroughly teel you
where you are.

Hope This Helps

Simon